Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bathroom Philosophy

Disregard any feelings you have about the title, this is a good one.

Upon returning to my dorm room (I'm a sophomore in college for those who aren't in the know) and entering the bathroom to use the facilities, as it were, I stumble across a very interesting event. I first hear someone talking, presumably into his cell phone. Not thinking much of this, I proceed into the last stall. Then I hear a second person. The two were having a conversation across the stalls. At first, I'm not listening to their conversation as I'm kind of shocked that this is happening, then I eventually start listening to what they're saying.

I don't quite remember the entire thing, but they were talking about comparing two fish to each other, assuming they were the only things in sight, though I believe they were talking about the only objects in the Universe. Almost the same thing, really. If I recall correctly, one guy's argument was that it would be impossible to compare them, as there would be no reference point, no "average" fish, and therefore you wouldn't know which fish was "better" as you would have no idea what a good fish was. Interesting stuff, really.

This eventually led into a conversation about women, and what one's soulmate would be. They were using the same analogy as the fish, you don't really know who your soulmate would be as you don't (usually) know what kind of person your personal ideal man/woman is. At least, I don't. By this time, they went to wash their hands and I was finished with my business, so I opened the stall door and got a look at them. They looked...well...normal, which was kind of surprising.
As they were leaving, I got their attention and said, "I must admit, this is probably the weirdest conversation I've ever walked in on."
They laughed and one of them said, "Great 'shit conversation', eh? You should have joined us."
"Next time." I replied. I certainly hope I get the chance again, this was a very interesting scene, and it makes me happy that people such as this are living in this building.

It would appear that, as Leigh Hunt once said, "There are humanities in the house."

No comments:

Post a Comment