Sunday, February 1, 2009

Something I just recalled.

A week or two ago, I was at the local mall with my friends. I was looking for a copy of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All, the second game in the series. I checked both Gamestops, but they didn't have any copies. I felt, well, depressed at this, since I psyched myself so much for finding a copy here, and I was so disappointed by the selection they had anyway, as I usually am. So, after getting dinner, my friends decided to keep walking through the mall while we waited for the shuttle to bring us back to college. We happened upon a small calendar vendor, and, recalling I needed a calendar for my dorm room, I broke from the group to buy one, a pretty nice one showing pictures of really pretty golf courses.

After I paid for it, I started walking in the direction they went, though I knew they were probably gone. Apparently they weren't too far gone, as I saw a few others down the way. Fast forward a bit and we end up in a Sony store, me still feeling a little depressed and thoughtful. I break from them again, and look at some of the digital cameras and ogle their copies of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, a game I really want to play but I may never get to. I eventually wind my way around to the laptops, where I try to find out their specs as they're weren't really listed on the tags. A store clerk asks if I need any help, and I reply that I'm just wasting time.

He responds with this (paraphrased), "You shouldn't waste your time, you know. You only get a limited amount of it, and the clock ticks faster every year."

I reply with a simple "Ain't it the truth?", then the conversation kind of ends here. My friends leave a few minutes afterwards, and I say goodbye to the clerk. As I exit the store, I start realizing what this quote really meant to me, and how much I think I needed to hear it. If anything, it's a very interesting quote in a pretty interesting setting, this random guy in this random store I entered that I probably would have never entered in any other circumstances. It's almost something out of a novel, the random guy giving a gem of wisdom to a character who doesn't know what to do, the statement giving him/her a sense of purpose again, while the speaker is never seen again, existing in the story to merely give the statement.

God, I'm such a writer. Or "English major", as my friends put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment